So Long And Thanks For All The Fish

After a personally difficult legal dispute over BME, I’ve had to face the potentially insurmountable reality of being massively in debt, and I have chosen to transfer the business to Rachel (the details of this deal are sealed, so please don’t ask). Within the month my role at BME will come to an end*, and new staff (made up largely of people who’ve been working on BME for some time as well) will be taking over. I will no longer be writing online about body modification, although I will be maintaining my regular blog and other projects of course, as well as working on several body modification book projects which I am eager to complete.

It’s definitely a very strange and mixed set of feelings, having run this site from the very beginning, over nearly a decade and a half. On one hand I’m very much looking forward to having the opportunity and time to paint and tackle new adventures, and on the other hand I will very much miss both the people and the subject in general that I came to know through BME. That said, when I grew up and fell in love with body modification — and later built BME — this was a very different and much more “outsider” culture, so maybe now, as not just tattooing but body modification as a whole enjoys unprecedented levels of popularity and acceptability, it is a good time to pass the torch on to a new generation. It’s my hope that they maintain the site in the spirit that it was begun, while taking on the challenges of a new environment.

I have very much enjoyed being a part of BME and I leave it with good memories. Thank you to everyone who’s been a friend of the site, and everyone who’s helped bring it to this point. I hope you’ve enjoyed my contributions — I know I’ve enjoyed yours — and I hope that you continue to enjoy what BME brings in the future.

See you in hell! :P

Shannon
         snowrail@gmail.com

* Edit, Jan ’10: In reality, it ended up being September before my role with the site wrapped up… One thing I discovered is that legal processes can move much much more slowly than either expected or desired!

28 Comments

1. Shannon wrote:

CodeZero, I wish I could talk about it in detail — and I’m sure you know that I would like nothing more than to explain everything in detail — but it’s not a legal option for me. I’m not hacked or anything like that, and while one level I would much rather have an IAM page, it’s also best that this is a clean and complete break.

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 4:50 pm | Permalink
  2. Nyx wrote:

Well, I’ve disagreed [and rudely, as is my habit] with you on a couple of things, mostly involving animal rights…

But, when all’s said and done, you and IAM, through example, converted body modification for me – from something my rapist tried to drag me into to something that helps me transcend myself, a religious and ecstatic rite.

So I owe you that, as I’m sure many do. Be well.

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 10:58 pm | Permalink
  3. i’m sorry all these years of hard work and being such a huge part of your life are no more. of course you can always rebuild onto new things but just something you are and were so passionate about is no longer. we are definitely all wishing you the best. you have seriously put so many smiles on my face directly and indirectly because of bme and all it has done to help me grow in all manners of life. every time we chatted face to face you have always been so kind and i have always appreciated it. thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 3:38 am | Permalink
  4. peter DaSilva 3 wrote:

WOAH & Damn!!
    im sorry to hear about this. i wish you all the best and hope you will return to documenting Body Modification on the internet again, in the future. For now, i will look forward to following your adventures on Zentastic!

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 9:49 am | Permalink
  5. Valeria wrote:

wish you the best,
    Thank YOU!

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 10:16 am | Permalink
  6. Kate wrote:

Wow, I just came here to find out what was going on over there since I noticed you hadn’t posted in a while. Thanks for everything you’ve done over the years and you will be missed. I always appreciate reading your comments.

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 2:48 pm | Permalink
  7. ELY M. wrote:

Im very saddened :(
    I do not even understand this.
    I know BME is your baby. why would give up your baby?

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 4:30 am | Permalink
  8. Wolf wrote:

I just wanna add that I told my bf about this the other day and, somewhat relieved, all he said was “Does that mean no more Guess What’s?”

Haha <3 I loved playing that game with him, though I can’t say the same for him. Bless :P

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 4:32 am | Permalink
  9. Max wrote:

I have been on BME for five years and it has become a safe haven for me. A place where I felt like I fit in outside of my close and small circle of friends. It really feels unbearable that you wont be writing about body modification online anymore. I hope this isn’t FOREVER. Maybe one day you will want to and/or be let back in? I’m not counting on it. But BME and the online body mod community as a whole is now completely different without you. There’s a giant missing hole now. Let’s hope your books are long enough for me to read a page everyday instead of visiting modblog. And have “guess what” pictures that are almost always dicks…

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 2:20 am | Permalink
  10. Human.v2.0 wrote:

I thought I’d just comment here that now now the two threads/posts mentioning this seem to have been erased from ModBlog.

So… that’s classy.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 2:09 pm | Permalink
  11. Charlene wrote:

I’m so sorry to hear you’ve left,
    BME and IAM helped shape my youth, and eventual growth into adulthood.
    Thank you for all your hard work and efforts.

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 9:00 am | Permalink
  12. Demoniqua wrote:

I am sorry to see you left BME Shannon. I can’t see it being the same without you. Good luck on your new journey.

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 4:23 pm | Permalink
  13. Wolf wrote:

OMFG they deleted this post on BME?! What’s with the tyrannical total annihilation of Shannon off that site??

It’s wrong/rude/disrespectful of them to delete a goodbye post… Everyone poured their hearts out and shared experiences they’ve had with you, and now they’re gone until they find you here and type their stories all over again.

Sorry to bring this up again though, it must be hard enough for you already…

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 1:26 am | Permalink
  14. erindustrial@mac.com wrote:

Shannon,
    While i never commented on ModBlog in the years i watched it, i most certainly looked at the site multiple times a week.
    There is nothing here you probably haven’t already heard,
    But, I’ll say it anyway.
    Since your departure i feel the content has drastically changed.
    It showed me something i may have not noticed before (and apparently took for granted)… It showed me how much passion you had in your posts, how researched they were and the quality of writing that went into it.
    So, for that Thanks.
    So far, to me it’s shown how powerful your departure was and the affects it ultimately had on the site.
    I was compulsively checking Modblog in hopes to see something of interest or that is reminiscent of your posts. Even though that is supporting the site, that hope has slowly tapered off to the point i hardly look or want to anymore.

Good luck on your future endeavors and i will be watching these posts to give me the satisfaction i was seeking… body modification or not.

Take care and Thanks again.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 12:07 am | Permalink
  15. [QUEEN] wrote:

thats fucked :(

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 1:57 am | Permalink
  16. George wrote:

It is sad that your ex-wife can come and steal your property, pervert it from its original design and you are powerless to stop it? Canadian legal system really does suck. Does this mean I can sue her and steal bme from her?

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 6:02 am | Permalink
  17. estrojenn wrote:

its been…uh…interesting to see the history of BME change before our very eyes by the editing that’s going on over on the wiki.

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 8:38 am | Permalink
  18. hammerhead wrote:

It’s not only the wiki. It’s a lot of other sites, blogs, forums; multiple posts are being deleted, edited, replaced.
    I cannot find proper words.

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 1:26 pm | Permalink
  19. james wrote:

all the best… you’ve done some amazing work and I always enjoy reading your point of view. you are truely inspirational to be who you want to be.

Monday, June 2, 2008 at 4:56 am | Permalink
  20. Anna wrote:

Thank you very much! Most of all for giving me the possibility to find a man who changed my life and will be my husband in a few days. I wish you all the best!

Monday, June 2, 2008 at 2:42 pm | Permalink
  21. Heinrich wrote:

I believe many of us know the feeling of losing something they cared for for ages, due to factors beyond our control. I appreciate that you look optimistically ahead, rather than behind.
    Perhaps this very attitude is a characteristic for the bodmod culture: never regret what you can’t change and look ahead to the next exciting project.
    I wouldn’t have thought I’d ever comment in your blog, like I never actually participated in the IAM community (or any other related community for that matter) in more than nine years since I stumbled across BME. I visited the site regularly, acquired a few hidden piercings, remained at a curious distance.
    Not sure what I actually want to say. Probably express my gratitude (incidentally from Germany) for creating BME and putting a lot of work into it. Running and administering something is a potentially tedious routine job (I’m be good at such things) but creating something is a true art. I admire artists, maybe because I don’t have the talent to be one.
    Good luck!

Monday, June 2, 2008 at 4:48 pm | Permalink
  22. ELY M. wrote:

I agree with George.
    I hope one day she will change her mind and give it back to you.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 at 12:45 am | Permalink
  23. Elizabeth wrote:

I grok you.

Monday, June 16, 2008 at 1:23 pm | Permalink
  24. MysticFire wrote:

Hi Shannon, sorry about that. You are a great Man, and BME was great with you. Where will BME go now without you. BME was my Inspiration a long Time.

Wish u all good for Future and that your ways go well ;-)

Bye bye from IAM: Mystic Fire

Monday, July 7, 2008 at 9:37 am | Permalink
  25. Michell wrote:

you are missed.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 at 5:34 pm | Permalink
  26. sarah wrote:

now we’re adults
    and you’ve helped us

Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 5:28 pm | Permalink
  27. IAM: Mija wrote:

I definitely can’t wait until this can be explained in detail. All of the drama over the passed year or so was so confusing that I gave up my IAM account. It will never be the same without Shannon. You ARE BME, at least for me.
    Best of luck in everything you do. I’ll continue to keep tabs on you, you’re still too interesting to give up, lol.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 11:38 am | Permalink
  28. Jeff wrote:

it sucks and i’m sorry that all that has happened, i wish u the best in all of lifes journeys. :) thanks for everything

Monday, September 19, 2011 at 8:40 am | Permalink
Wow Shannon, that's really annoying! What is it, 1997 on Geocities? Retroweb is NOT cool!