Last night Nefarious and I went through her toys looking for stuff that was relatively small, and didn’t have any odd shapes that would be difficult to deal with in terms of getting stuck in a two part mold. Below are the first four toys that we settled on. I made the molds using the same putty-like material, rather than the pourable silicone which in hindsight would probably have been better. Nonetheless, all four molds turned out fairly well. The way that I filled them was by melting the chocolate and then first painting a thick layer on each half to both make sure that there was chocolate around the perimeter without the chance for bubbles to form. Then I poured in my filling materials — pop rocks, chopped up gummy worms, and crushed pretzels in this case — and then filled in the gaps and topped them off with more liquid chocolate. It was tacky enough that it was easy to stick the two halves together without anything flowing out, and then I popped them in the fridge overnight to let them set.
Here’s the one we cast off a small copper Ganesha statue of mine. There’s some damage (like his missing arm) that’s from me not being careful enough when I took him out of the mold:
And here’s a bunny. It’s got a big air pocket in the side, which I think was caused by me not being careful enough in the filling process:
This yoda turned out nicely as well, although there was a small amount of mold material that got stuck in my first cast off of it. I suppose I just forgot to cut it off — it happened because the plastic yoda opens up so there’s a big gap along the sides that some silicone must have flowed into (there were other holes into the interior, but I plugged them temporarily with clay while casting the mold).
Finally, I made a copy of a shoe as well.
I think these turned out very nicely and I’m feeling pretty confident about what I can make, and my head is overflowing with a zillion ideas. I hope I don’t have to wait much longer for my various candy and soap making supplies to arrive in the mail.